History of the park in Lednicke Rovne




Establishment of a park

Parks and gardens were an inseparable part of manor houses, and the aristocracy invested large amounts of money in laying them out.

The historic park of Lednické Rovne, with an area of 18.5 ha, is situated on the right bank of the Váh river. Designed in a landscape garden style, the park features romantic ruins, preserved to this day. It was founded by Count Johann Gobert Aspremont-Linden, the owner of Lednica manor, at the end of the 18th century. He inherited the land after the death of his father, who was a grandson of Julianna Rákóczi, sister of Francis II Rákóczi.

Count Aspremont was a great nature lover. His personal doctor Anton Rochel, an Austrian, was an excellent botanist and horticulturalist and very much involved in the development and architectural design of the park. He worked for the Count in 1800–1811 and 1816‒1820. The park was co-founded and designed by Aspremont’s gardener Wenzel Wágner and gradually developed in the style of the English landscape garden, adapting the garden to the lie of the land.








The following owners

There are ruins of a church here, built in 1640 by order of Zuzana Lórantffy. Nearby are an Empire tombstone of Count Aspremont from 1819 and the Temple of Goddess Minerva, which is situated at the highest point of the park. At the back part of the park, there is a Gothic gate with a little rotunda-like tower.

After the death of the last member of the Aspremont family in 1819, both the park and the manor were inherited by his daughter Mária, who married Count Erdӧdy. Their daughter Františka, who was married to Baron Skrbenský, became the next owner. Afterwards, the property was inherited by their son Filip Skrbenský, who sold it to the factory owner Jozef Schreiber in 1890. At that time, the manor house and the park were in a very poor condition. 





SGlassworks and
the present

Jozef Schreiber had the manor house renovated and the park and the entire Rovne manor restored, and in 1892, he built a glassmaking factory in the town. A Neo-Renaissance building ‒ a mausoleum, his final resting place ‒ is at the most beautiful spot in the park.

Nowadays, the entrance part of the estate, including the manor house and the courtyard, is owned by the RONA a. s. company, while 16.5 ha of the park is owned by the Municipality of Lednické Rovne.






The entire park, with all its buildings, has been declared a National Cultural Monument of Slovakia.



Sights in the park


Thank you

The „Renovation and Revitalization of the Historical Park in Lednické Rovne“ project received a grant from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway in the amount of € 999,789 through the EEA grants and Norway grants. The project was co-funded in the amount of 149,968  € from the state budget of the Slovak Republic. The objective of the project is To restore and revitalise pavements, hypodrome, to cut down some woody plants and planting of new onces instead. A new mobiliare and new rest areas will be placed in the Historical park in Lednicke Rovne. A local Museum of Glass will be renewed and International Glass symposium artworks will be set up within the park. Glass manufacturing and the historical park will be propagated.